Saturday, August 28, 2010

Starcraft 2 Desert Strike Basic Tutorial - Gameplay

I'm just going to do a basic tutorial on how to play desert strike custom map, this game is new to me, actually this is my second game and I only seen it on top of the popularity list this week. I'm still a bit of a newb but the build I'm using worked out pretty good so far, so I'm just going to show you the basics and game play. I probably will make a tutorial on different strategies once I play this game a bit more.

You can pick different races for this game, and you get units base on your race, so far I only try Terrans. So this guide is just the terran build. I start off building some hellions, I mass up on them first because they are great for all ground starter units. Then after I get 6 or7 of them, I will build a barrack, one barrack is enough because you don't want to build any barrack units, you just need it so you can build a factory. Once your factory is up then I will get vespene gas, which increases your income, but also when you are upgrading this, you will have a time freeze on your income, so make sure your army is big enough to counter or hold your opponents units before upgrading it. Once your first gas is up, you can either expand your army or you can continue upgrade the other two gas, only do so if your army is countering your opponents easily. Make sure you upgrade your command center so you can have ravens and science vessels, once your opponent has invisible units.

The basic build for terrans is hellion, tanks, wraiths thors and later on battle cruisers. and you adjust the amount of units base on what your opponent is making. I normally go with hellion, some tanks then go wraiths before mass up on thors and battle cruisers later in game when you have a more steady income.

Terrans also get this special attack from the supply depot which is raining nukes and is able destroy most of your opponents units on the map, it cost 4500 minerals so you can only use it later in the game. I'm not sure if you can constantly make this supply depot or if it's a one time deal. I only used it once and I accidentally use it out of curiosity on my first game. The effects is very cool but I never have a chance to use it in this video.

Also for this game you have one boom, which works like a nuke and able to destroy all your opponents units. You only have one of these so don't waste it unless you absolutely need it. The boom you can use it for defense or offense. Only use for offense if you think your army can take out his desert fortress and win it, other wise don't waste it.

One last thing, you should build your structures neatly because later on if it turns into an epic game you will need as much space as possible for your army, other wise your opponent will out number you.

That's all for this video, when I get a few more games in I will make other videos on how to play with protoss and zergs probably, anyways hope you enjoy the rest of the video and thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment